Sunday, July 15, 2012

For The Love Of Patina


I love to experiment and this is the best way for me to learn. I highly recommend it. I am not a "diva" artist. If someone is going to steal your ideas then so be it. I find it flattering as long as they are not in your same market area and they add their own touch to it. If someone ask how I do something I am more than happy to share information.



What I do have a problem with is when someone ask where I bought my supplies or how I got a patina. This is part of the coming into your own process as an artist. If I were to tell someone exactly where to go to find their components it would take the thrill of the hunt from them. If told them exactly how I got these colors of patina, they would miss out on the satisfaction of discovery.

It is fine to share your knowledge and I do but it is also so important to experiment and come up with your own "happy accidents." Patinas are tricky business. You could get the solution at Michael's ( God forbid) or you can do some reading and exploring and then spend some time throwing some good old kitchen science into action. Set it in the sun and wake up the next morning to OMG!!!!!!!! Look what I did!!!!! I ROCK!!!!!!!

I would not want to rob anyone of that adrenaline rush you get when you discover something on your own. I have experimented with lots of methods and it is always a surprise. So many things can influence the color. The amount of time under the torch, the amount of chemicals, duration in the sun or shade, humidity and sometimes you will not know how you got that color but you will know you are all that and a bag of chips. I got pink one time and have never got that color again. It was a pair of earrings. Side by side , same process, one turned pink the other totally different. You just can't predict 100% sameness.

My point is that you need to play. You need to ask yourself "What if" or "Why not" and do it. If it flops throw it in the pickle and start over. The great thing about metal is it is very forgiving and the more you beat it up the better. Unlike most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment